So what are the key Christian bloggers in Singapore saying about Rony Tan vs Gays?
As it turns out, pretty much zilch. zero. nada.
Over the last few days, I’ve been diligently looking into what they’ve been saying, and here’s the summary of my findings. Please feel free to point out to me any other important blogger I left out (NOTE: I have only included overtly Christian Blogs here, not just any blogger who happens to be Christian):
- IRRELIGIOUS (Terence Lee, journalism student at NTU, attends City Harvest Church) — one blogpost exploring the emotional outburst of reactions to Rony Tan vs Buddhists/Taoists. Another on the point-by-point rebuttal by the NUS Buddhist Society. Total silence on Rony Tan vs Gays. (UPDATE: Terence has a great new post entitled City Harvesters, it’s time to question)
- SZE ZENG (student at Trinity Theological College) — one post exploring what Rony Tan vs Buddhists means for Singapore; one post complaining that SG Daily had misrepresented the earlier story (a bit duh); one post exploring what Singaporeans think of the ISD; one post on the four types of Christians in “public theology”; one post reflecting on the response by the NUS Buddhist Society; one post exploring interfaith relations within his own family (I enjoyed this one); Total silence on Rony Tan vs Gays.
- ANDREW ONG (another City Harvester) — one post on his learning points from Rony Tan vs Buddhists. Total silence on Rony Tan vs Gays.
- THE LOGICAL CHRISTIAN (Stanley Wong, attends New Creation Church) — this guy appears to be totally oblivious to the Rony Tan saga because he’s too busy trying to explain that his church isn’t a cult and defending the theological views of his pastor Joseph Prince.
- STILLHAVENTFOUND (another New Creation Church devotee) — another busy apologist for the theology (or perceived lack thereof) of his church (seriously what’s up with New Creation?). Likewise, total silence on the Rony Tan saga.
- SKILLFUL SHEPHERDS (Timothy P, youth pastor at Woodlands Evangelical Free Church) — one blogpost on Channel News Asia’s report on Rony Tan’s “inappropriate and unacceptable” comments against Buddhism and Taoism. Total silence on Rony Tan vs Gays.
- GIVE ME THIS MOUNTAIN (Chua Seng Lee, formerly a pastor with Faith Community Baptist Church, now with World Revival Prayer Fellowship) — total silence on the Rony Tan saga though I did find this interesting link of a letter written by a “concerned Christian” to the Archbishop John Chew lamenting over the “massacre of Christians” that she witnessed at the Aware EGM. John Chew was in the news recently imploring Anglicans to unite against “alternative values” like homosexuality. He’s also the president of the NCCS but he too has been silent on Rony Tan vs Gays.
- BLOGPASTOR (Kenny Chee, senior pastor of World Revival Prayer Fellowship) — one post exploring the need for Christians to have a “loving and respectful witness” (in response to Rony Tan vs Buddhists); and a second one asking what would have happened if Rony Tan were Richard Dawkins. Of all the above bloggers, he comes closest to touching on Rony Tan vs Gays but even he has to tiptoe around the issue by saying “Hopefully one day the issues raised by the Pastor Rony Tan’s webcast on Buddhism and homosexuality can be intellectually dissected and discussed and everybody, Christians and Buddhists and gays, can get enlightened in the process, or at least have their say.” No censure of Rony Tan’s assertion that gays are paedophiles and zoophiles as in the case of Yang Tuck Yoong.
- KONG HEE (senior pastor of City Harvest Church) — total silence on Rony Tan. Not kosher for him to be censuring the senior pastor of another megachurch I guess.
So as you can see, we’ve got lay members, theological students, pastors, senior pastors above. Put them all together and you find that the silence is very deafening, especially when you take into account how the rest of the Singapore blogosphere is abuzz with Rony Tan. This is what befuddles and troubles me so much.
I do understand the dilemma that some of these guys find themselves in. On the one hand, they are of the conviction that homosexuality is sinful (I’m not challenging this) and on the other, they are profoundly embarrassed by Rony Tan’s frivolous slander against gays. I understand this, I do.
But seriously, how can anyone be SILENT or NEUTRAL with the assertion that gay people are paedophiles and bestialists?Tags: blogosphere, Christianism, Lighthouse Evangelism, Rony Tan, Singapore